Thursday, April 28, 2011

Semana Santa

            I know - you are all shocked at the recent frequency of all these entries. I hope they are entertaining…and they may or may not have anything to do with the fact that I have been in Alicante for the week with just my host parents and rainy weather.  (I have a lot of time to write.)
            So yes its true, I am in Alicante and have been to the beach once, for about 2 hours. It’s been cold and rainy here…so much for spending Semana Santa at the beach. Not happy about this. We drove out here on Tuesday after Mom left. Of course there was tons of traffic, because naturally Wednesday was the final of the Copa del Rey (Real Madrid v. Barcelona) in Valencia – which is conveniently located north of Alicante and uses the same highway to get from Madrid to Valencia. Lovely start to the “relaxing beach vacation” we were going to have. The Spanish are also up in arms because the speed limit was recently lowered from 120kph to 110kph (that’s 68mph). According to my host dad, “Its murderously boring to drive this slow…” Imagine the joy I got to experience hearing about that the entire 5-hour drive.
            Semana Santa (Holy Week) is a big deal here. There is no Easter bunny and dying Easter eggs like back home, at least at my house. It’s very serious, and in my opinion everything seems pretty depressing. There are processionals every day of the week, leaving from different churches all around cities. They are “parades” with people in scary “costumes” (very KKK like), marching bands, and gigantic “floats” that take about 50 men to carry them. It was very, interesting. Take a look at the photos below from some of the processionals. 
If that doesn't say Happy Easter, then I don't know what does.
Gladiators?
            This week has given me time and reason to do some of the things I love to do but always seem to find a reason in Madrid to go and do something else. Like reading - I have now started and finished one book, and am halfway through my second. I have also had time to organize my life…which was desperately needed. Although, and I didn’t want to admit it – living without Internet for a week is really hard. Not that I miss things like Facebook, but I feel so disconnected. Especially since Skype is my only real means of communication with everyone back home. There are also the things that I needed to get done, like online homework and apartment hunting, which are now just piling up for when I get home. Lucky me.

No comments: