Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hello!  I have now been in Spain for 10 days and am starting to settle into a routine.  Its very different than in the US because I don't have that much to do, and don't know what to do with my free time...

La Noche Blanco (the white night) was so much fun!  I started out the night going to a Real Madrid fútbol game with my host dad and brother which was really fun.  I then met up with the rest of the exchange students in Madrid to celebrate la noche blanco.  The festival was crazy.  All the main streets were shut down and people were everywhere!  All the museums and restaurants were open late, and there were outdoor concerts all over the city.  We spend most of our night walking around the city and taking it all in.  I didn't get home until 6am....and when I left Madrid there were still tons of people out!  Spanish people like to stay up late and party.  I don't know how they do it every night?! 

My host brother Raúl and I at the Real Madrid game.

Classes began for real on Monday.  They are really challenging for me, I have never been so lost in my entire life!  Once I figure out what is going on, usually by someone explaining it to me in english or slow spanish, the material is very easy.  We spent an entire class period (2hrs) defining what culture is....but hopefully I will be able to improve my spanish in that class!  I added a literature and cinema class to my schedule but after one class decided that I need to drop it.  The professor talks very fast, facing the board...  The one thing I did understand was that we have to read 4 novels, which would take me like an entire year...so I will try a different class. :)

This weekend the city festivals begin, which is an entire week of activities in Villaviciosa de Odón.  I imagine that everyone will stay out all night, again.  haha This whole not sleeping thing is going to take some getting used to....

1 comment:

Kristy Black! said...

Oh my gosh. Ali, I hope you're having an amazing time in Spain!! I know my experience abroad in Italy was life changing, and I get so excited when I hear about other people abroad. Take it all in, and don't hold yourself back. When I was abroad, I read the following quote and it meant a lot to me at the time, maybe you'll enjoy it too :]

"The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see."

Keep an open mind & heart, and have some fun girl!!

(Oh, and keep a journal. I definitely had intentions of doing that abroad and let time get away from me and now I wish I hadn't...I'm already forgetting stuff :[ )